Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Skemp Article Response

I had a very strong viewpoint in regards to the issue as I began this article, but as I read I began to question the views I was so certain of. The description of relational and instrumental understanding was raw and original, and I had never thought of teaching math as having two different paths. It became clear there was a divide between teachers who were only able to allow instrumental understanding, and teachers who only allowed relational understanding. I did not think there would be anything to attract me to allow students to understand instrumentally, until I came across reasons why it may be helpful, which pleasantly surprised me. Skemp's example of being in a new town also surprised me, as I had never seen a more thoughtful representation of relational and instrumental understanding.
My perspective on this issue is that teachers should always do their absolute best to relay relational understanding to their students, but it may not work for all students. Some students may take to learning theory very well, but some students may get confused and even pull away. A crucial part of being a good educator is being diverse with all students in the classroom; this can be achieved by attempting relational understanding with stronger students and instrumental understanding for students who may need more confidence with math. Once confidence has been built, attempts to change their understanding can be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment