Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Letters from Students!

Letter One:
Dear Ms. B,
I just wanted to write this letter to thank you for all the hard work you put into teaching our class. You made exactly enough time for every student, and even though it was tough, you made sure everyone in the class felt important. There was never a point in the class when students didn't understand because you went through all the material meticulously. I always felt engaged in the classroom and felt excited to learn. I really appreciate all of the times you kept your door open in order to let us students come in and ask questions before and after school.
I just wrote to tell you thanks!
Sincerely,
Bill

Reflection:
I've always wanted to become a teacher for the sole reason that I want to make a difference in the lives of students. It has always been my goal to make sure I have as much time as possible for my students in order to make sure they are understanding everything being taught. While I know this is a dream, I want to do my best to make it a reality.

Letter Two:
Dear Ms. B,
I am writing to let you know that I had a lot of problems with the way you taught me. You constantly pressed the class about attending before and after school sessions, even though no one was ever interested in coming. I felt you were not personable with your teaching, and didn't make it apply to anything we would ever use in our lives. I constantly battled with myself over if I even liked math in high school because I was so bored in your class. I don't mean this to be harsh, but just wanted to let you know so you could improve for the future.
Sincerely,
Bill

Reflection:
This letter is based on fears I have as a teacher. I always go back and forth about whether I even want to do before and after school sessions for the reason that I feel most students would not want to attend. I also worry that students will not like my approach to learning and shut down and end up not liking math in the future. In my eyes, all it takes is one bad teacher to turn a student away from a subject, and my ultimate concern is becoming that teacher for a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment